Disposable vs. Cloth
- Easy to fit many babies
- Not green—most do not biodegrade, are full of chemicals as they are petroleum based
- Nursery and day-care friendly
- Poo disasters!…you know what I’m talking about, up the back, into the car seat, out the side of their pants etc. Ick!
- Common side effects include diaper rash
- COST–$2500 from newborn to potty-trained, check out this link
- Inconvenient? Matter of opinion and lifestyle I think.
- SO many choices, now just find the right diaper for the right fit on your baby (See the links below).
- “Green” as they are reusable.
- Most nursery and day-cares are not-so friendly…but I would love to be proven wrong here.
- Poo disasters no more! With a good cover (which most are) this is not a problem. They hold the poo in on the back and the legs. BUT what about cleaning the poo off the diapers? — enter modern technology! The toilet spray tool or biodegradable liners that make flushing the icky stuff…very simple.
- Not near the problem with diaper rash, especially with natural fiber diapers and covers
- COST WAY LESS! See for yourself.
Why I use Cloth…
Quite frankly, it fits our family’s lifestyle and budget. I wanted to be a mom who could stay home and raise my children, and this budget saving choice helped a lot. I admit, some days it feels like a chore, but most of the time it is no more a chore than having to be “out” of disposables and running to the store at 10 p.m. Interested in looking into cloth a bit more? Here are a few links I have found extremely helpful in my diapering of two babies.
- www.greenmountaindiapers.com: Offers excellent tutorials and explanations about most types of cloth diapers AND pictures on babies—very useful
- www.cottonbabies.com: Popular site for purchasing new pocket diapers. Great customer service and products if this is your type.
- www.diaperswappers.com: HUGE forum for selling cloth diapers. Can find some good deals if you are willing to search!
Also…never underestimate your local shopkeepers…with the cloth diaper business making a HUGE comeback there are lots of boutique’s that carry some or many lines of cloth diapers. I think it is always better to experience something first hand. Ask around…many mommies may be doing the cloth thing unbeknown to you!
Ultimate decision: lifestyle and personal values…we all have them…just think it through!
From the City
Hello, my name is Mackenzie and I love America! I love that we all have a choice on pretty much any and everything. It's beautiful! and I believe it is important to not become part of the Dumb-masses. Get informed... on both sides. and have a reason for your choice.
One Response to “This vs. That: Diapers”
Leave a Reply